Friday 24 October 2014

Fox Manor


The Second Floor - The Lady's Bedroom




Hi everyone,

I can't believe it's been so long since I posted on my blog, but we'd been very busy at home preparing for my daughter Caroline's wedding which took place at the end of September.  I had been doing a bit of RL decorating in preparation and it was just lovely to see her.  As you all know, she lives in Australia at the moment and came home to Ireland to get married.  It's so hard to believe it was two years since she was last home....  So bear with me, folks, my miniature work may be slow, but I still am working at it.....in my head anyway!

I also want to say a big thank you for your kind comments on my little corner display and to welcome my new followers, welcome along!

This floor is going to be called, surprise, surprise, The Lady's Floor.  This floor will be a lot brighter with delicate colours, in contrast to The Gentleman's Floor below!

Now, the first room on the second floor to be done actually stretches across two rooms.  The main bedroom for my Lady, is directly above her husband's below - to the left of my manor.

The second part, is her adjoining dressing room, walking through to her en-suite - lucky lady! This is directly above the Gent's Study.  This area will also house part of the hall going out from her bedroom and going back into the manor - yes, imagination is all important here!  It does sound very complicated, but it will become a lot clearer! :)  Here's hoping.....

The door to the back of the room is the main entrance to the hall, and the newly made 'doorway' to the front of the room will enable my Lady to enter her dressing room and then through to her en-suite.  Thanks to my hubby for that!

In the bedroom I painted the ceiling and part of the wall in a Crown Period Colour in 'Flagon', a lovely soft green.  The central ceiling mould started life as a picture frame - papered in the centre with 'Grand Bal' from Les Chinoiseries.  I then stuck a lovely 'rosey' ceiling rose in the centre.  I am happy enough with the result.  I do like to try new things.....:)

The remainder of the room was then papered with 'Grand Bal' with some moulding and picture rail added.

The lovely plaster door surround for the main entrance to the bedroom is by Sue Cook and painted white.  The other open entrance through to the dressing room has a plaster sides also by Sue and doctored by me with a makeshift 'skirting' top! I do have little brackets to add, but I will complete the dressing room first before adding them.

I was such a ding-dong when I was painting the door from the hall to the bedroom!  Do you want a laugh?  Well, I decided the best way to paint my door was to remove it from the frame.  In my 'concentration', shall we say, in doing the adjoining hall, I glued the doorframe in so I could get that little space finished.....yes, doorframe.  I didn't even realise that I hadn't the door put back in until a week later! :(  Talk about a handling, trying to get the door back on and still have it working.  BUT I persevered and fiddled about until I got it in and working.  THEN I realised I really should have painted more of the doorframe as you can still see a lot of brown from the hallway side, in the bedroom.  But I think I will leave the door slightly ajar to the hallway so the little light can be seen on the table, and maybe the doorframe won't be as noticeable.

I painted the bed canopy white, but highlighted it with green, red and pink paint - it's not in place at the moment as I still have a curtain to make and attach to it - and it will be a lot easier to work with if it's not attached to the wall.

The fireplace is from Reutter, and I have been just waiting for somewhere to put it.  I think it's lovely.
The hearth is made from mountboard and, again, scored to imitate slabs, done in the same way as the hearth in the Games Room.  I have the wire for the fire running along the base of the skirting board in a little hollow that I left by making the floor a few millimetres shy from the wall.

The floor.  I think this floor took me so long to do, as I couldn't decide what I actually wanted here.  The making of it was fairly quick once I decided what I was doing.  I just laid plank flooring at a 45 degree angle.  I waxed it, and didn't like it....so I put a darker wax on top and I am a lot happier with it now.  It's a plain floor, but I think the ornate furniture really stands out against it.



I made the little stool at the bottom of the bed myself :)  I wouldn't like to put it to the test and have someone sit on it.....but I think it looks very effective :)  I have covered it in 'Grand Bal' silk by Les Chinoiseries to match the wallpaper.


I had already bought the light fittings for the Lady's Bedroom and Dressing Room.  They are by Heidi Ott and I think they are very sumptuous for a bedroom.  But I am that type of girl :)  Girl, who am I kidding! Lol.  Anyway, I love a bit of bling, as long as it's tasteful.






Here's a few more pictures of the bedroom.  I have hidden the view to the dressing room with a box, but all will be revealed when I get it finished :)







Ignore the blue tape, it helps to keep the lower floors covered and clean....:)

So there we have it.  The Lady's Bedroom is nearly complete.  I still have to dress the bed, install the bed canopy with curtain, and perhaps a rug to bring a bit of warmth to the room, but, all in good time.

Thank you for looking at my Lady's Bedroom and I hope you have a lovely weekend.

All the best and take care,

Vivian




Just a little snap of Caroline and her new husband, Aaron.....taken by me, so it's not the best:)





12 comments:

  1. Hello Vivian!
    Your ladies room is gorgeous! I love the wallpaper and the color you chose as a wide cornice around the top of the room. That detail really accentuates the height of the room and makes the scale of everything look just right. Well done.... Now let's see the dressing room!
    The photo of your daughter and new son in law is lovely. I'll bet the wedding was a great time.
    Looking forward to seeing more of your progress.
    Warmest regards from your pal Ray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Thank you for the warm welcome to your blog :-). The room is beautiful work and very chic, the fireplace is also very nice! Your daughter is lovely, she has a wonderful dress and is very beautiful. Congratulations to the couple!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vivian
    Thanks for your message, I'll message you back with my news (it's not that exciting, kinda!).
    I love this room. The green works perfectly with the wallpaper, I really admire your ability to mix different colours to make a balanced whole.
    Your daughter and son in law look so happy! I hope you had a great day xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Los trabajos que has realizado en la habitación son preciosos.
    Enhorabuena a para ti y para la pareja de recién casafos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vivian, the bedroom is gorgeous. I love the idea of the interconnecting rooms and look forward to seeing the dressing room.

    Your daughter looks beautiful and very happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Lady's bedroom is stunning, love your choice of wallpaper and furniture and the floor turned out great, having it on the diagonal adds more dimension. Lovely pic of your daughter too, what an exciting time for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vivian, you've done fantastic work on your Lady's room, it is really gorgeous! It's hard to say what is more beautiful, cause the whole is so stylish, delicate and feminine. The color scheme is so well balanced, great :D! I especially love the hearth and the chandelier, they are spectacular!
    Congratulations to the newlyweds and their family, it must have been a great day :)! Wonderful picture.
    Kind regards, Ilona

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Vivian! Love the room!

    I especially like the arrangement of the room. I love that little hallway down the center and the extra door. Those things lend a realism that cannot be achieved with the standard one door on each side approach that the manufacturers use so much.

    I also really love the green you chose. So soft and inviting. It sets off that gorgeous fireplace...Did I say "Gorgeous"? I love that fireplace, I've seen it and thought...hmmm...maybe I should...but so far have resisted the impulse. I'm just not there yet in my build.

    What a handsome couple! I am excited for you and the new experiences coming up with your daughter over the next few years. I don't think my kids will ever get married! (I am sure they will, but I was married ten years by the time I was my kids age!)

    As usual, beautiful work Vivian!

    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations to the bride and the family! Now for your lady's room...sooo beautiful. The fireplace is my favorite but then there is the chandelier! So pretty. I can't imagine it getting better...but it will. I look forward to it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Vivian,
    What a grand, beautiful and charming room. It was well worth the wait (by the way, congratulations to the happy couple). I love the wallpaper you chose. It works so well with the look and style of the furniture. The architectural detail you add to your rooms really makes them grand and special. I love that your rooms look like those you would find in a manor. Great job on t he bench, it works so well with the room. I am always happy and excited when I see you have put up a new post. Excellent work my dear girl.
    Big hug,
    Giac

    ReplyDelete
  11. One or two blogger issues here so apologies for my late comment! The room looks lovely and I really like that shade of green you've used. The fireplace complements it beautifully. I also think your little bench does the job admirably.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on your daughter's wedding! She looks beautiful in her gown! All the best to both of them.
    Your bedroom is sensational! It's so classic and clean. It's so refreshing! I love the walls, the floor and lights. The furniture is absolutely gorgeous!
    hugs♥,
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete